Some of you may recall that my son and I worked together on Perry the Paramecium over two years ago! This was a fun project that basically involved him telling me what he wanted and me making it. Now that he is older, he is a lot more involved in the collaborative process.
Last week I gave him a pile of fabric and told him to think about what he wanted to make with it. The next day he showed me the pattern he created for a a stuffed germ that he dubbed “Blanketitis” (since it was made with blanket material, get it?).
This was another fun and easy softie to make. I did the sewing, he did the stuffing and made all the creative decisions. He wants to make a whole line of stuffed germs, so we’ll have to see what he comes up with next!
It’s been awhile, but I haven’t forgotten about you! Hopefully, I can get back to a more regular posting schedule. I am doing plenty of projects, just haven’t had the time to show them off.
This is a little pin cushion and a needle case made from selvages. I must admit,this is kind of addicting and the possibilities are endless once you have the basic selvage blocks completed. The needle case pattern from a book called Save the Selvages. The book contains all kinds of small projects you can make in just few hours.
Here’s a pattern for what the book called a tea bag holder, but I used it for a wallet and check book cover.
Start saving your selvages and see what you can make! Keep it Thimble!
Hello again! Life has been busy the past couple of months and I haven’t had a chance to post for awhile. Rest assured, I’ve been finishing lots of projects. One thing I made were some portable shopping totes for my son’s teachers (as an end of the year gift). The pattern is from a book called “Purses Bags & Totes” by Moya’s Workshop.
I really liked the pattern since it is a bit fancier than a tote with straight sides and a square pocket. This one has some nice stylistic elements that make it more attractive.
I used the same fabrics for each one, but just alternated the placement. I think I will make more of these. They didn’t take too long to make. The most time consuming part was pinning the pleats in the body and sides beacuse you had to do a few measurements to make sure the pleat placement was correct.
It finally feels like Spring is here! Here’s a rabbit pincushion I made to celebrate. I saw these rabbits on the Raspberry Rabbits blog and couldn’t resist making one for myself. The original design is by Donna of Brynwood Needleworks. I created my own pattern and am pretty pleased with how it turned out.
For the tail, I cut a strip of Minkee fabric, ruffled it, and then wrapped it around into a circle. I think it looks very cute! You can tuck a pair of scissors into the pocket on the back.
February has been busy with real work, so I didn’t fulfill my goal of quilting for 20 minutes a day. I had such good intentions, but the combination of going out of town, working on some extra projects, and getting a new dog all trumped sewing! I will be posting about my trip in another post, but I will tell you I went to the northern most point of the United States where it was 20 below.
The big news is that we have a new member of the family. His name is Jangis Con – a variant on Ghengis Kahn. My son doesn’t know who Ghengis Kahn is, but really liked the name. However, he choose to spell the name differently so he and the dog would have the same initials. Go figure!
Jangis is a very cute and jolly dog that brings us a lot of laughs. Look for more pictures of him in the future!
Just wanted to let you know that the thimble made the cut and will remain as a Monopoly Token! The unlucky token to be voted out was the iron. I was never a fan of that one anyway. The new token will be this cute little cat! Thanks for keeping the thimble!