I have some exciting news to share about Keep It Thimble….
Calling all pattern designers! I’m super excited to announce that I am launching a pattern bundle site that sells time-limited collections of .PDF patterns, in the manner of Humble Bundle and similar sites. I’m looking for contributors — independent pattern designers and small publishers who want to reach a new audience for their sewing, quilting, appliqué, knitting, crochet, and cosplay patterns.
I’m partnering with the Bundle of Holding (www.bundleofholding.com), a long-established site that sells tabletop roleplaying game ebooks. Since 2013 the Bundle of Holding has presented more than 400 offers comprising 3,000+ titles from over 235 small RPG publishers; 60,000 gamers have purchased 300,000 bundles. The site has raised more than US$645,000 for dozens of charities.
Like the Bundle of Holding, each offer on my pattern site presents a curated collection of DRM-free .PDFs. The customer pays a set minimum price to get the “starter” pattern bundle and can opt to pay more that the current threshold (average) price to receive an additional collection of “bonus” patterns. A typical offer runs for three weeks.
If you would like more information about participating in this, please email me at keepitthimble at gmail dot com.
The North Carolina Museum of History has a wonderful exhibit called QuiltSpeak: Uncovering Women’s Voices through Quilts that will be there until early March 2020. There are some stunning quilts on display, so if you are in the Raleigh area, you will definitely want to check it out.
The exhibit features about 40 quilts, along with a story of the woman who created it. Here’s a few pictures to give you and idea of the type of craftsmanship on display.
Wow, can’t believe it has been over a year since I posted something! I’ve been busy sewing and doing projects, but just haven’t had the time to take pictures and put together the posts. I plan to start posting a bit in 2016.
I signed up for a UFO challenge at my local quilt shop and I hope to complete ten UFOs by March 31! I think I have a good chance of getting 8 completely done, and two will just have some progress made. Will post a list of the projects in the next few days so you can can see what I’ve been up to this past year.
Five years ago, my brother gave me a box of 3.5″ and 6″ squares cut from vintage Hawaiian shirt fabric and asked me to make a quilt. I found the perfect pattern in the ScrapTherapy book by Joan Ford. I’ve worked on it off and on for the past few years, and finally finished it!
This quilt has over 1,000 separate pieces and lots of triangles. I tried to set up somewhat of an assembly line to sew and trim the half-square triangles. Every few months, I would pull out the project and do a few more half-square triangles.
The best part was figuring out which squares to pair with the half-square triangles in order to make the fish. I think the fish turned out great and I really like how the blue fabric makes them pop!
What long-term project have you finally finished? Comment below!
So far so good, I’ve been able to quilt at least 20 minutes a day in Feb. It’s only day 4, but I feel very optimistic about being able to do this. I am going out of town for a few days in Feb, and am already planning what project I can take with me. It will probably be one of my embroidery or wool appliqué WIPs.
If you recall, my first quilt was a red and white Irish Chain quilt with a blue border. I removed the blue border since it didn’t really add anything and I think it looks much better as just a red and white quilt.
Meandering Stitches did the quilting for me. I stitched on the binding this weekend. I think it looks great!
I also finished cutting out all the sashing for a Halloween Quilt I started last September. Now that everything is cut out, it shouldn’t take too long to put together. Here’s a teaser of what it looks like.
I’ve been working on a table topper from the Summer 2012 issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects that features both piecing and applique. The background pieces were cut out a few weeks ago and I spent the past week piecing them together. I felt really triumphant when I completed it on Saturday. The plans was to start work on the applique part on Sunday. However, after looking at it closely, I spotted a mistake….
I felt I could live with it, but after sleeping on it I decided I couldn’t! I spent a few hours Sunday fixing it, but it was worth it. Below is the corrected background. The applique work can wait until next weekend.
Just for fun, let’s turn this into a giveaway. The prize is a cute little cupcake pincushion (color may vary).
Post a comment below with what you think mistake is and how you would fix it. All comments will be included in the drawing (even the ones that don’t have the correct answer). Deadline for comments is Sunday, August 5th. Winner will be notified via email and announced on the blog.