So far so good, I’ve been able to quilt at least 20 minutes a day in Feb. It’s only day 4, but I feel very optimistic about being able to do this. I am going out of town for a few days in Feb, and am already planning what project I can take with me. It will probably be one of my embroidery or wool appliqué WIPs.
If you recall, my first quilt was a red and white Irish Chain quilt with a blue border. I removed the blue border since it didn’t really add anything and I think it looks much better as just a red and white quilt.
Meandering Stitches did the quilting for me. I stitched on the binding this weekend. I think it looks great!
I also finished cutting out all the sashing for a Halloween Quilt I started last September. Now that everything is cut out, it shouldn’t take too long to put together. Here’s a teaser of what it looks like.
I just found out that Monopoly is removing one of the classic tokens and replacing it with a new one. They are letting people vote for which token to save! Of course, we need to Keep the Thimble. Voting ends on Feb 15th. You can vote once a day between now and then.
The goal is to quilt for at least 20 minutes a day in the month of February. I am pleased to announce I will be joining her and her merry band in this commitment and hereby post my official statement:
I, Heather Chandler, who is drowning in UFOs am joining Quilting Hottie Haven’s second annual DaGMT event, and pledge to quilt for 20 minutes every day of the month of February, 2013. In doing so I hope to clear out my sewing room so I can start another round of unfinished projects. I also want to thank Beth Helfter (THE Quilting Hottie) for coming up with this brilliant concept and inspiring me to join.
I’ve already put together a list of what I hope to finish. It is very ambitious, but if I complete at least four things on this list, I will consider it a HUGE success. I will tyr to post regular progress reports each week. In no particular order, the projects are:
I can’t believe it’s almost the end of January! This year I am focusing on finishing projects that have been 90% finished for a few years. So far I’ve put the binding on three quilts and have prepped three other quilts for the longarm quilter. In between finishing projects, I am doing smaller projects that can be finished in a few days.
This is the Pineapple Pinkeep from a pattern by Sue Spargo. I saw this pattern years ago and always liked it, but never made it. During one of my thrift store visits, I found this beautiful brass candle bass for 3! When I saw the base, I knew it would be perfect for the Pineapple Pinkeep.
This project was a lot of fun to put together. Picking out the wool and buttons to use was the best part. I also spritzed the wool with some walnut crystal spray so it wouldn’t look too bright (especially on the leaves). The pineapple is the perfect way to “welcome” in the New Year!
My husband and I went to a concert last night so a friend came over to babysit. He gets the prize for best babysitter, because he came prepared to do a fun food project! He had a bag of marshmallows, a tube of black icing, Jelly Bellys, Airheads, and pretzel sticks Add in one excited 6 year old and you get these adorable snowmen!
The pretzels are used to hold the marshmallows together and also for the arms. A Jelly Belly is used for the nose, and you can cut them in half to make eyes or buttons. A strip of airhead makes a delicious scarf. The final touch is putting on buttons with just a drop of black icing. I can’t wait to make these myself. Thanks for the idea Jim.
My friend Jen just sent me photos of this adorable duck ornament she made for her child’s teacher.
I asked Jen to tell me about her process:
“Sure! I made it from this pattern http://noseynest.blogspot.com/2008/06/lucky-ducky-freebie.html but I turned it inside out to hide the seams. I like the look of hidden seams better, but it made his head so small! Wasn’t thinking about that when I changed it though. It’s just on regular wool felt, and before sewing it together I used embroidery thread to stitch on the decorative stitches.
I used a straight stitch for the downy body, fly stitches for the feathers on the wings, buttonhole stiches to outline the wings and french knots, outline stich and backstitch for the beak. Oh and fly stitch, laisy daisy and outline and french knot for the heart patch.
Then I turned it inside out, stitched it, and stuffed it. It turned out a little wonky, to be honest, but I like the stitching effect and the cute little heart with holly berries. ”